alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube

Request an Immigration Document

Congratulations on your acceptance to Widener University! In order to ensure that you will be able to arrive in the U.S. in time to attend the required orientation program, you must complete the required immigration processes in a timely manner.

How to Get Your I-20 or DS-2019 from Widener University

Complete Widener University's Request an Immigration Document electronic form. Make sure to input complete and correct information as this form will be used to issue your I-20 or DS-2019. This form requires you to submit documentation such as your passport and financial documents. Make sure to have the following documents available: 

  1. Copy of the passport biographical page.
  2. Proof of finances. The Estimated Cost of Attendance will provide you with the amount of money you need to show in order to get your I-20. The Financial Documentation handout will inform you as to the type of financial documentation that is accepted.
  3. Additional documentation, if needed, based on individual circumstances (see Transfer-in, Dependents, and Change of Status below).
  4. Payment for shipping of your I-20 or DS-2019. See "Mailing of your I-20 or DS-2019" below.


If you are already in the U.S. as an F-1 or J-1 student, you must request your current institution to transfer your SEVIS immigration record to us. Transfer students must provide the documentation required of all students and additionally do the following:

  1. Provide a copy of the current student visa.
  2. Provide a copy of the I-94 card or printout.
  3. Provide a copy of all previous I-20s or DS-2019s.
  4. Provide a copy of your I-901 SEVIS fee receipt.
  5. Ensure that their SEVIS immigration record is transferred to Widener within the 60 day grace period using the transfer form linked above.

Once we receive your immigration record and all required forms, we can issue your I-20 or DS-2019s.


If you wish to bring your spouse and/or children (under age 21) with you, you will need to request an F-2 I-20 or J-2 DS-2019 document for each dependent. Students with dependents must provide the documentation required of all students and additionally do the following.

  1. Provide additional funding for each dependent. The Estimated Cost of Attendance form linked above will provide current amounts.
  2. Provide a copy of the passport biographical page for each dependent.
  3. For each dependent already in the US, provide a copy of the current visa.
  4. For each dependent already in the US, provide a copy of the current I-94 card or handout.
  5. For each dependent already in the US, provide a copy of all previous I-20s or DS-2019s.
  6. Dependents must have insurance. Insurance can be purchased through International Student Insurance.

Once we receive all required documentation, we can issue I-20s or DS-2019s for you and your dependents.

Change of Status

If you are already in the US on an immigration status other than F-1 or J-1, you may need to change your status in order to study at Widener. If you are unsure whether you can study on your current visa, please contact us. You should not begin your studies until you have confirmed that your immigration status allows you to do so.

If you know that you want to change your status, please review the documentation in our Change of Status handout, and then contact us to begin the process. This process can take up to 6 months, or more, so begin the process early.

Mailing of your I-20 or DS-2019

You must provide all the required documents in order for your I-20 to be issued. In order for your I-20 to be mailed, you must prepay for shipping through eShipGlobal.

In order for you to use the eShipGlobal service, you will be required to create your own user account. Please have the following information ready when creating your account: your mailing address, e-mail address, phone number and credit card information. Please pay close attention when filling this information out; incorrect or incomplete address information will result in delayed delivery of your documents. The shipment can be sent to a location in the US or to your foreign address.

  1. Register and activate your account using the link above. Registration and activation of your account is free.
  2. Click the "Receive" option on the homepage.
  3. Type "Pennsylvania" in the search box, or select it from the drop-down list.
  4. Select "Widener University – Main Campus" and then "Continue."
  5. Select the specific university department and then "Continue."
  6. Complete the shipping form, enter 7-digit student ID number, found at the top of your admit letter and select "Ship/Quote."
  7. On the confirmation page, check your shipment details.
  8. On the same page, complete the credit card information form.
  9. Select "Confirm" to advance to the shipment summary page.
  10. Widener University will automatically be notified by University Express Mail Services (eShipGlobal) that you have requested your documents via express mail. You can track the shipment using the tracking number provided.
  11. Receive your documents in 3-5 business days from the date of mailing.

If you experience any problems in registering and processing the shipment, please use the "Help" link in the website for step by step instructions or contact eShipGlobal directly.