The Student Health Services staff appreciates the opportunity to provide primary health care and information to your son or daughter while they are pursuing their college education at Widener University. By visiting our website, you will see the various services and resources available to your son or daughter. We hope that by being aware of the services offered, you will encourage your son or daughter to use us when needed!
Our department is staffed by experienced, caring health care providers who have worked in college health for many years. All providers come with national certifications in their area of specialty.
Although Student Health Services provides many services to your son or daughter, health insurance is still needed to cover services beyond those offered on campus. The University requires that all students provide proof of personal health insurance on an annual basis. If a student requires insurance, the University sponsors a sickness and accident insurance plan at a reasonable cost.
We look forward to serving your student. Stop by and visit us at Student Health Services, located on Metropolitan Lane.
Information to Know
- Student Health Services (SHS) is open 5 days/week, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- There is no charge for a visit with a health care provider in SHS.
- SHS offers scheduled appointments from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- If your son/daughter is feeling ill or is injured while at college, they should call SHS for an appointment.
- If your son/daughter has any questions about health, lifestyle, diet, or is feeling "stressed out," our professional staff is available for them. We are ready to answer questions, examine/test, counsel, and refer them when necessary.
- SHS is staffed by nationally certified nurse practitioners, a part-time medical physician, and nurses experienced in college health care.
- Students who are over the age of 18 are considered emancipated minors in the State of Pennsylvania. The professional staff is not able to disclose a diagnosis/treatment plan without the student's written or verbal authorization.
- If urgent/emergency medical care is required when SHS is closed, students are instructed to call Campus Safety at ext. 4200. A campus safety officer will be dispatched and will transport the student to the hospital.
- It is very important for students to understand their health insurance plan. We recommend each student have a copy of their insurance card in their wallet. Find out in advance if a referral is required for labs, x-rays, or specialist care.
If your son/daughter is on prescription medication, they should bring a minimum of a month's supply with refills to school. Prescription drugs can be kept in the student's room. When refills are needed, the student can bring his/her empty prescription bottle to SHS. The health care providers at SHS will assist the student with the refilling of the required medication. To expedite this process, prescriptions can be transferred to any of the pharmacies listed below:
|Rite Aid||1500 Edgemont Ave., Chester, PA 19013||610-874-7600||610-874-7396|
|Walmart Pharmacy||1570 Chester Pike, Eddystone, PA 19022||610-447-1871||610-447-1873|
|CVS Pharmacy||1306 MacDade Blvd., Woodlyn, PA 19094||610-521-7011||610-521-7941|