alert Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Rectangle 9 Group 4 email out facebook fax flickr grid instagram LINK linkedin location Group 47 Group 9 Group 9 Group 47 PHONE play Group 4 " Search twitter video face_white youtube

Financials & FERPA

Financial Aid

The University Bursar and Student Financial Services is available to answer any questions related to paying for college. The following types of financial aid resources may be available to you, depending on your circumstances:


Aid that you do not have to repay; usually need-based.

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • State Grants
  • Widener Grant-In Aid


Aid that you do not have to repay; usually merit-based.

  • Widener Academic Scholarships
  • Widener University Endowed Scholarships
  • Other University Scholarships
  • Private Scholarships


Borrowed money that you must repay with interest.

  • Federal Direct Loans
  • Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Alternative Loans

Work-Study & Other Student Employment

Funds you earn by working.

  • Federal Work-Study
  • Institutional Employment

The FERPA Act: What Rights Do I Have to Information?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 (Buckley Amendment) was enacted to assure parents of students and the students’ themselves if they are over age eighteen, or attending a post-secondary educational institution, access to student records and to protect rights to privacy by limiting the sharing and disclosure of their records without their consent.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can I get a copy of my student’s grades?
A: The quickest, easiest way for parents to receive information about their child’s grades, financial statement, or other student information is for the student to provide it. Students can look up information online, print it off, and give or email a copy to their parents.

Q: Isn’t there a FERPA provision that colleges and universities can contact parents if a student violates alcohol or drug policies?
A: FERPA regulations allow, but do not require, higher education institutions to provide notice to parents when a student violates federal, state, or local laws related to alcohol or drugs.

Q: Where can I find out more about FERPA?
A: The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for overseeing FERPA. See their website for additional information. More information can also be found at

Download Widener University’s FERPA Policy