Center for Education Offers Certificate Programs at Discounted Rates
To help educators gain significant professional development without the initial commitment of a master’s or doctoral program, the Widener University Center for Education is offering several advanced certification programs at a significantly discounted price per course.
“This is an opportunity for professionals to obtain additional credentials to advance in the workplace, and the courses can then matriculate to a master’s or a doctoral degree if they choose to continue,” said Dr. John Flynn, associate dean of the Widener School of Education, Hospitality and Continuing Studies. “Should they choose to continue on to an advanced degree after completing a certificate, they can do so after earning part of their degree at a discounted rate.”
The following four certificate programs are offered at $400 per credit and all courses in the programs matriculate into the corresponding master’s and/or doctoral programs:
- Teacher Leadership K-12 – designed for working professionals who want to develop their leadership capacity, yet intend to remain in the classroom
- Special Education-Assistive Technology – designed for individuals interested in working with children and adults who have special needs
- Higher Education Leadership and Practice – designed to impart knowledge and skills around leadership grounded in theory, scholarship, educational research and best practices
- Reading Specialist – designed to further prepare practicing teachers to enhance literacy education
Widener also offers additional certificate programs at $475 per credit, and upon completion of these programs, graduates are eligible for Pennsylvania Department of Education certification. These certificates include:
- Counselor Education
- Home and School Visitor
- Instructional Technology Specialist
- Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction (various concentrations available).
Widener University is a private, metropolitan university that connects curricula to social issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention, leadership development and experiential learning are key components of the Widener experience. A comprehensive doctorate-granting university, Widener comprises eight schools and colleges that offer liberal arts and sciences, professional and pre-professional curricula leading to associate, baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral degrees. The university’s campuses are in Chester and Harrisburg, Pa., and Wilmington, Del. Visit the university website, www.widener.edu.