Brenda R. Gilio, EdD
- Director of Center for Education
- Associate Professor
Programs I Teach
- K-12 Educational Leadership (EdD)
- K–12 Educational Leadership (MEd)
- Graduate Education Certificates
- PA State Education Certifications & Endorsements
- EdD, Educational Administration (1992)
Lehigh University (PA)
- MEd, Social Restoration (1982)
Lehigh University (PA)
- BS, Secondary Education (1978)
Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania (PA)
I have spent over 37 years in education which include ten years experience teaching English at the high school level, almost 20 years in administrative positions in K-12 schools, and 8 years at Widener University in faculty, educational leadership coordinator, and acting dean roles. These experiences in educational leadership have influenced my teaching and mentor relationships with graduates students who aspire to leadership positions.
My research interests include leadership for school improvement. Special areas of interest include: leadership roles and responsibilities, administrative and teacher evaluation, professional development, supervision, professional and personal life balance, and social emotional competence of school leaders.
My research interests include topics related to leadership for school improvement. I have worked with numerous doctoral students on a plethora of topics related to this research agenda. Of particular interest is the improvement of practice in K-12 schools concerning leadership, human resource management, curriculum development and evaluation, administrative and teacher evaluation, financial management, and the social/emotional competence of school and district leaders.
- Crane, B., O'Hern (Gilio), B., Lawler, P. (2009). Second career professionals: Transitioning to the faculty role. Journal of Faculty Development, 23(1), 24-29.
- O'Hern (Gilio), B., D'Onofrio, A., & Ledoux, M.W. (2010). Seeking NCATE accreditation: Leadership perspectives and tips. Academic Leadership Online Journal.
- Pifer, M., Reisboard, D., Staulters, M., Li, X., Gozza-Cohen, M., McHenry, N., Schaming, S., & Gilio, B. (2014). Finding the motivation: The evolution of a faculty scholarship symposium. Journal of Faculty Development, 28(1), 5-13.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Association of School Administrators (AASA), Pennsylvania Association of School Administrators (PASA)/Women's Caucus, Eastern Educational Research Association (EERA)
- Provost's Award for Outstanding Service, Widener University (2014)
- Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society, Widener University (2009)