Dawn T. Gulick, PhD, PT, ATC, CSCS
- Health Sciences
Programs I Teach
- PhD, Exercise Physiology (1995)
Temple University (PA)
- MS, Physical Therapy (1983)
Emory University (GA)
- BS, Athletic Training (1981)
Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania (PA)
I earned a bachelor of science in athletic training from Lock Haven University (Lock Haven, PA), a master of physical therapy from Emory University (Atlanta, GA), and a doctorate of philosophy in exercise physiology from Temple University (Philadelphia, PA). I am an AMBUCS scholar and a past-president of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society. As a licensed physical therapist, I have direct access authorization. I also am a certified strength and conditioning specialist.
I am a professor of physical therapy at Widener University in Chester, Pennsylvania. I have been teaching for over 20 years. My areas of expertise are orthopedics, sports medicine, modalities, and medical screening. As a clinician, I have owned 2 private orthopedic/sports medicine practices. I have sold both very successful practices (1996, 2007). I also provide athletic training services from the middle school to elite Olympic/Paralympic level. As a member of the Olympic Sports Medicine Society, I have provided medical coverage at numerous national and international events. I have been the medical provider for the USA National Team since 1993. This includes 5 Olympic Games. I have travelled the world with elite athletes and am a member of the International Consortium for Disabled Athletes. As a scholar, I am the author of 4 books (Ortho Notes, Screening Notes, Sport Notes, Mobilization Notes), 4 book chapters, and over 50 peer-reviewed publications. I have over 100 professional and civic presentations. I earned the university research award in 2011.
I am the developer of a mobile app called iOrtho+ (Apple, Android, & PC versions). My app has been positively reviewed by numerous organizations and has been adopted by dozens of university to supplement their orthopedic curriculum. iOrtho+ has been sold in over 14 countries.
My research interests are in the areas of orthopedics and sports medicine.
- Gulick CN, Gulick DT. Use of Dynamic Tape® for Upper Extremity Support. Journal of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Practice. 2016.
- Wellmon RH, Gulick DT, Paterson ML, Gulick CN. Validity & Reliability of Two Goniometric Mobile Apps: Device, Application, & Examiner Factors. Sport Health Journal. Accepted April 27, 2015 (In Press). http://journals.humankinetics.com/doi/abs/10.1123/jsr.2015-0041
- Gulick DT, Fagnani J, Gulick CN. Comparison of Muscle Activation of Hip Belt Squat & Barbell Back Squat Techniques. Isokinet Exerc Sci. June 2015; 23(2): 101-108. http://content.iospress.com/articles/isokinetics-and-exercise-science/ies570
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Phi Kappa Phi
- Widener University Outstanding Research Award, 2011
- AMBUCS National Physical Therapist of the Year Award, 1999
- Named to USA Olympic Sports Medicine Society, 1993