Ellen A. Erdman, PT, DPT, HPCS
- Clinical Associate Professor and Director of Clinical Education
Programs I Teach
- DPT, Physical Therapy (2006)
Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions (UT)
- Certificate, Early Intervention (2000)
Drexel University (PA)
- BS, Physical Therapy (1984)
Quinnipiac University (CT)
Being a physical therapy clinician for 30+ years, I bring "real life" situations to the classroom to promote application of content and encourage clinical decisions. I am passionate about the work I do, and hope to ignite that passion in my students.
My research interests lie in two areas, physical therapy clinical education and hippotherapy/therapeutic use of equine movement. With the globalization of society and changes to healthcare, cultural awareness, inter-professional collaboration, and service learning are key concepts to holistic healthcare. I am involved in the exploration of various models of clinical education to provide learning experiences with high impact. My hippotherapy research has been primarily case studies, but I plan to investigate dosage in the pediatric population.
- Peters C, Fields, B. Risks, Erdman E. Hippotherapy Practice and Safety Patterns in the United States: A Descriptive Survey Study. JACM - Paradigm, Practice and Policy Advancing Integrative Health (The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine). 2020, publication issue pending, 1-7.
- Erdman E, Black JD, Campbell, S, Palombaro K, Golder T, Grazioli S. Investigating the Influence that Service in a Pro Bono Clinic has a a First Full-Time Clinical Education Experience From the Perspective of Students and Their Clinical Instructors. Internet Journal of Allied Health.2020;18;4.EE
- Palombaro K, Dusak K, Black J, Jones S, Stewart A, Erdman E. High Civic-mindedness Reduces Compassion Fatigue in the First Three Years of Professional Physical Therapist Practice: A Pilot Study. Journal of Patient Experience. 2019.
- Poretta D, Black JD, Palombara K, Erdman E. Influence that service in a pro bono clinic has on a first full-time physical therapy clinical education experience. Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. 2017;15(1): Article 11.
- Erdman EA, Pierce SR. The Use of Hippotherapy With a Boy After Traumatic Brain Injury: A Case Study. Pediatric Physical Therapy. 2016; 28: 109-116.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), American Hippotherapy Association (AHA)
Institute for Physical Therapy Education faculty Ellen Erdman, clinical associate professor and director of clinical education, and Jill Black, associate dean of College of Health & Human Services and the director of the Institute, co-authored a report in the journal Physical Therapy Education.
The purpose of the article was to compare and contrast the physical therapy international clinical education experience in both the developed and developing country and compare the experiences to professional standards and guidelines.
Share link: https://www.widener.edu/node/19256/