Ginny Focht-New, PhD, PMH-CNS, BC
- Clinical Associate Professor
Programs I Teach
- Social Work (PhD)
- Social Work (MSW)
- Social Work (BSW)
- Human Sexuality Studies (MEd) & Social Work (MSW)
- Trauma Post-Graduate Certificate
- PhD, Nursing (2009)
Widener University (PA)
I have learned the importance of engaging students in their education by including, encouraging, and empowering them. Students teach me in every class as they bring a wealth of knowledge and experience into their courses. There is also a personal benefit as I am able to continue to learn to teach a variety of courses.
My research interests focus on the education of people with intellectual and developmental disability. This is a population of people who are not seen as capable of learning, yet educators have a very different experience. In addition, I am interested in student experiences taking research courses. Students come into research class with negative and/or positive course exposure that affects their perspective of the current course.
- Focht-New, G. (2012). Transformation through health teaching for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities: A qualitative study. Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 50(2), 129–139.
- Focht-New, G., Barol, B., Clements, P.T., & Milliken, T.F. (2008). Persons with developmental disabilities exposed to interpersonal violence and crime: Approaches to intervention. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 44(2), 89–98.
- Focht-New, G., Clements, P.T., Barol, B., Service, K., & Faulkner, M. (2008). Persons with developmental disabilities exposed to interpersonal violence and crime: Strategies and guidance for assessment. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 44(1), 3–13.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD), NADD, Phi Kappa Phi, Sigma Theta Tau
- Dean's Award (PhD), Widener University School of Nursing (2010)
- Lilian Sholtis Brunner Award, University of Pennsylvania Alumni Association (1998)
- Dean's Award (MSN), University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing (1994)