Joseph M. Hargadon, PhD, CPA, CMA
- Department Head of Accounting & Information Management
- Accounting & Taxation
Programs I Teach
- PhD, Accounting (1993)
Drexel University (PA)
- MS, Taxation (1982)
Widener University (PA)
I have been on the faculty at Widener since 1981. I teach in both our undergraduate and graduate degree programs. My primary undergraduate teaching interests have been financial accounting, intermediate accounting, and advanced accounting. At the graduate level I have taught financial accounting and financial reporting topics.
My research interests focus primarily on accounting education, professional accounting certifications, and taxation.
- Barndt, Oehlers, Hargadon, "Strategic Cost Management: What CPAs Need to Know", Today's CPA, March/April 2013 (unable to find article)
- Fuller, L.R., & and Hargadon, J.M. (2010). Go for gold! Take the new CMA and CPA exams while earning your MBA. Management Accounting Quarterly, 11 (3), 30–40.
- Hargadon, Cermignano & Santomero, "Structure Scholarships to Exempt Room and Board From Tax", Practical Tax Strategies, May 2006 (unable to find article)
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
The Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA)
- Graduate Teacher of the Year in the SBA (2014)
- Fitz Dixon Innovation in Teaching Award from Widener University (2011)
- Lindback Foundation Teaching Award (2006)
- Professor Joseph Hargadon Co-Authors Article in Issue of Strategic Finance
Dr. Joseph Hargadon, professor of accounting, co-authored an article entitled "Dual Certification: It Can Be Done" in the August 2019 issue of Strategic Finance. The article prescribes a unique study plan whereby accounting majors can design their undergraduate curriculum to pass both the Uniform Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination and the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) examination within six months after graduation. The article has been cited and reprinted by the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) as a recruiting tool to increase awareness of the benefits to students for joining the IMA. He also presented a one-hour IMA Inside Talk Faculty Friday webinar with his co-author, Dr. Lori Fuller, on Oct. 25. Finally, DePaul University School of Accountancy adopted the study program prescribed in this article.