Julie E. Wollman, PhD
- President of Widener University
- PhD, Education (1991)
New York University
- MS, Elementary Education (1985)
University of Pennsylvania
- BA, English and American Literature and Language (1981)
I always try to communicate honestly, clearly, and transparently. A university campus is a community. All members are engaged and truly care about what goes on within the community. Therefore, as a leader, I value and believe it is important to keep everyone informed through good communication.
I believe listening is a critical communication tool for leaders. I host regular listening sessions to understand issues important to the entire campus community, in addition to what we are doing well and what we need to work on. I want all constituents to have a voice and to engage in conversations that help guide my decision-making and keep me focused on continuously improving our institution. In my first two months at Widener nearly 500 people have participated in my listening sessions.
I especially make interacting with students a priority. They energize me. I enjoy learning about what they are doing and working to support them. Knowledge of the high-impact practices, civic engagement activities, and leadership experiences students are engaging in also makes me a better representative of Widener when I am working externally on behalf of the university.
I truly love my work, so I never stop working. I have absolute dedication to consistent excellence and to exceeding expectations!
- Wollman, J.E. (2019, April 23). A burst pipe brings a flood of insights for a university president. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Wollman, J.E. (2019, March 15). Universities already protect and promote free speech. The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Wollman, J. E. (2018, November 1). Member Perspective on Leadership Development: Dr. Julie E. Wollman. The Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia Newsletter.
- Wollman, J. E. (2018, June 10). Second look: New views on talkers. USA Today.
- Wollman, J. E. (2018, Jan 5). Finding common ground and encouraging civil debate. Philadelphia Business Journal.
- Wollman, J. E. (2017, December 12). Is this tax plan a dream-crusher for higher ed’s foodservice workers, maintenance staff and housekeepers? The Hechinger Report.
- Wollman, J. E. (2017, May 1). Are College Students Getting the Attention they Deserve? The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Wollman, J. E. (2016, October 24). Achieving Lasting Impact. Inside Higher Ed.
- Wollman, J. E. (2016, July 18). Put colleges to work on region’s vexing issues. The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Philadelphia Business Journal's People to Watch in 2018.
- Philadelphia Business Journal's 2017 Women of Distinction.
- Main Line Today's Women on the Move, 2017.
- SmartCEO Philadelphia Brava Award, 2017.
- Mercy Center for Women, Women Making History Award, 2015.
- Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania 2014 Woman of Distinction.
In the Media
- Authority Magazine“Five Things That Should Be Done to Improve the U.S. Educational System”, with Widener University President Dr. Julie E. Wollman & Penny Bauder
- Invest: Philadelphia
- AL DÍA News
- The Chronicle of Higher Education