Kim C. O'Halloran, PhD
- Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Strategy
- Associate Professor
Programs I Teach
- Higher Education Leadership (MEd)
- Higher Education Leadership (EdD)
- Graduate Education Certificates
- PA State Education Certifications & Endorsements
- PhD, Higher Education Administration (2005)
New York University (NY)
I have been teaching graduate courses in Higher and K12 Educational Leadership and Counseling/Student Affairs for the past 16 years, and have specialized expertise in teaching courses related to student services and development, leadership and administration and fieldwork/internship. I have served on the dissertation and advisory committees for doctoral students and as an advisor to master's degree students.
I design my coursework to mirror a developmental teaching philosophy, to encourage student responsibility for learning, and to incorporate technology and online learning methods. I frequently utilize a learning contract, which allows graduate students to choose the methods of assessment that will best facilitate their own learning, and incorporate student leadership in the classroom and through online tools. I see my role as not only a teacher in a course, but also a facilitator and mentor. I often provide students with the opportunity to engage in their own research, or to work in partnership with me on my own research projects. I also engage in culturally responsive teaching, and work to ensure that students in my courses incorporate diversity in their work.
My scholarly and research interests focus on diverse issues in higher education. My scholarly agenda in recent years has focused primarily on the factors that contribute to student success and retention in higher education, with particular interest in special populations. I have also researched organizational issues in higher education.
- O'Halloran, K.C., O'Halloran, R.P. & Chaparro, C. (March, 2016). Mathematics Anxiety in College Students. American College Personnel Association International Conference. Montreal, CA.
- O'Halloran, K.C., & Gordon, M. (2014). A synergistic approach to turning the tide of grade inflation. Higher Education, 68(6), 1005-1023.
- O'Halloran, K.C., & Delaney, M.E. (2011). Using learning contracts in the counselor education classroom. Journal of Counselor Preparation and Supervision, (3)2, 69-81.
In the Media
- Graduate Program Administrator Publishes Article
Education Professor Kim O'Halloran published "Multidisciplinary Community Mental Health Clinics: Opportunities and Challenges for Counselor Educators" in the Journal of Counselor Leadership and Advocacy October 2019 issue. O’Halloran also serves as associate provost and dean for Graduate Studies & Extended Learning.
Share link: https://www.widener.edu/node/12026