Linda A. Hawkins, PhD, MSEd, LPC
- Adjunct Professor
- Co-Director of Gender & Sexuality Development Clinic (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia)
Programs I Teach
- Affirmative Therapy for Transgender Communities
- Human Sexuality Studies (PhD)
- Human Sexuality Studies (MEd)
- Social Work (MSW) & Human Sexuality Studies (MEd or PhD)
- Human Sexuality (MEd) & Public Administration (MPA)
- Clinical Psychology (PsyD) & Human Sexuality Studies (MEd)
- PhD, Human Development & Human Sexuality, Clinical Counseling Focus (2009)
Widener University (PA)
- MSEd, Psychological Services (1998)
University of Pennsylvania (PA)
- BS, Speech and Hearing Sciences (1993)
University of Washington (WA)
I have been a therapist working with LGBTQ children, youth, and families for the last 20 years. I went into this work to raise the voices of individuals who are far too often silenced. I started specifically working with Transgender youth at the Attic Youth Center in Philadelphia at a time when there were very few therapists doing this important work, and there were few places to get information on how to provide the best care for Transgender teens. By joining with regional, national, and international experts, I started to build additional trainings for therapists.
In 2014, I founded the Gender & Sexuality Development Clinic at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to have a way for Transgender and Gender Expansive children, youth, and their families to receive multidisciplinary care. In supporting these wonderful families, it became clear that there needs to be many more therapists who can provide support. My motivation in building this training program is to have more therapists in the community who can provide this great care.
- Simms, S., & Hawkins, L.A. (in press). Families with chronic medical issues. In Browning, S (Ed.). Family therapy in practice. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- McClain, Z., Hawkins, L.A., & Yehai, B. (in press). Creating welcoming spaces for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) patients: An evaluation of the healthcare environment. Journal of Homosexuality.
- Hawkins, L.A., & Ginsburg, K.R. (2014). Core principles in communicating with adolescents. In Ginsburg K.R. and Kinsman S.B. (Eds.). Reaching teens: Wisdom from adolescent medicine for all youth-serving professionals. Elks Grove Village IL: American Academy of Pediatrics. (A Textbook and Video Product)
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Counseling Association (ACA); Pennsylvania Counseling Association (PCA)
- Linda Lehnert Memorial Award Excellence in Academics & Research
- Distinguished Dissertation Nomination Gender Identity Development among Gender Variant Adolescents
- Points of Pride Award