Melanie J. Davis, MEd, PhD, CSC, CSE, CSES
- Adjunct Professor
- Gender & Sexuality
Programs I Teach
- PhD, Human Sexuality Education (2010)
Widener University (PA)
- MEd, Human Sexuality Education (2007)
Widener University (PA)
- BA, Mass Communications (1982)
California State University, Hayward (CA)
I joined the Center for Human Sexuality Studies adjunct faculty in 2011, while also working as the Unitarian Universalist Association’s Our Whole Lives (OWL) Sexuality Education Program Manager. I am the author of OWL for Older Adults and Sexuality and Our Faith, a Companion to OWL for Grades 7-9, 2nd ed.
I am a founding partner in the New Jersey Center for Sexual Wellness, through which I provide sexuality counseling and education practice for teens and adults and work collaboratively with an OB/Gyn and sex therapist.
I am an AASECT Certified Sexuality Counselor, Educator, and Educator Supervisor.
Areas of Expertise
- Sexuality and aging
- Older adults and body image
- Lifespan sexuality education
- Dissertation: Sexuality Education as Perceived by Physicians and Therapists: An Assessment of Attitudes about and Interest in Referring Patients to Sexuality Educators
- Correlations Among Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education for Grades 7-9 and the National Sexuality Education Standards for Core Content and Skills, K-12. Boston, MA: Unitarian Universalist Association (2013).
- Davis, M. (2019). Our Whole Lives Sexuality Education for Older Adults. York, J. (Ed.), Boston, MA: Unitarian Universalist Association and United Church of Christ.
- Davis, M., Morriss, M.E., and Agate, J. (2015). Sexuality and Our Faith Companion to Our Whole Lives Grades 7-9 (2nd ed.). Boston, MA: Unitarian Universalist Association and United Church of Christ.
- Davis. M. and Glick, K. (2019). Networking, Mentoring, Collaborating, and Risk-Taking: A Four-Strand Approach to Sexuality Leadership. In James Wadley (Ed.), Sexuality Leadership, Empowerment, and Consultation. Melbourne, Australia: Routlege/Taylor & Francis.
- Davis, M., Donahue, M., and Hersh, J. (2018). Supervising Referral Relationships. In James Wadley and Richard Siegel (Eds.), The Art of Sex Therapy Supervision. Melbourne, Australia: Routlege/Taylor & Francis.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Association for Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists
- Advanced Sexuality Educators and Trainers
- Liberal Religious Educators Association
- Sexuality and Aging Consortium at Widener University (founding member and co-president)
- Unitarian Universalist Society for Community Ministries
- Unitarian Universalist Trauma Response Ministry
- “7 Sex Educators Who Are Totally Rocking it,” www.refinery29.com (2016)
- Health and Wellness Education and Awareness Award nominee, Safer Sex for Seniors, Lions Health (2014)
- Emerging Professional Award, Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (2007)