Michelle T. Brandt, MSW, LSW
- Assistant Director of Field Education for Online MSW Program
Programs I Teach
- Social Work (PhD)
- Social Work (MSW)
- Social Work (BSW)
- Human Sexuality Studies (MEd) & Social Work (MSW)
- MSW, Social Work (2011)
Marywood University (PA)
- BA, Social Work (1991)
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania (PA)
I have spent more than 20 years working as a social worker in the health care field with a focus on older adults, hospice, palliative care, and oncology. Upon receiving my MSW, I became drawn to teaching and working with students to prepare them for rich careers in social work. My strong connection to social work values and ethics inform both my practice and my teaching.
I utilize a variety of teaching strategies to engage the adult learner in the classroom and field setting. My commitment to the social work profession has led to my interest in working with students in the field setting. My role as assistant director of field education for the online MSW program allows me the privilege of introducing social work students throughout the country to the field.
Based on my practice experiences, I have interest in ethics in palliative and end-of-life care, complex family dynamics in palliative and end-of-life care, the role and perception of social workers in the medical setting, and social work field education in online MSW programs.
- Brandt, M. & Giamportone, K. (2014, November). Understanding the nuances of palliative care and managing complex patient and family dynamics in the palliative care setting. Presentation at the 2014 Tri-County Regional Ethics Committee Educational Conference, Mt. Laurel, NJ.
- Brandt, M. (2012, October). Maintaining hope in the presence of suffering: Managing reactions to client illness and death. Presentation at Marywood University School of Social Work, Lehigh Valley and Reading Fall Field Gathering, Center Valley, PA.
- Black, P., & Brandt, M. (2011, November). End-of-life ethics: Challenges confronting health care professionals. Presentation at the 2011 Tri-County Regional Ethics Committee Educational Conference, Mt. Laurel, NJ.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
National Association of Social Workers (NASW), Association of Oncology Social Work (AOSW)