Robin Brennan, DrPH
- Graduate Programs Director, Associate Professor
- Health Sciences
- Psychology & Mental Health
- Gender & Sexuality
Programs I Teach
- Human Sexuality Studies (MEd)
- Human Sexuality Studies (PhD)
- Clinical Psychology (PsyD) & Human Sexuality Studies (MEd)
- Social Work (MSW) & Human Sexuality Studies (MEd or PhD)
- Human Sexuality (MEd) & Public Administration (MPA)
- Doctorate of Public Health (DrPH), Public Health (2011)
Drexel University (PA)
- Master of Science (MS), Applied Psychology and Quantitative Methods (2000)
University of Baltimore (MD)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), Psychology (1998)
West Chester University (PA)
I am the Graduate Programs Director of the Human Sexuality Studies Program in the School of Human Service Professions and Associate Professor of Teaching of Human Sexuality. I hold a Doctoral degree in Public Health with an emphasis on Community Health and Prevention and a Master's degree in Applied Psychology and Quantitative Methods.
With twenty years experience leading social justice programs, I've spent the majority of my professional career in academia and healthcare. I served as the executive Director of a 2 million-dollar, comprehensive trauma informed youth social and sexual health non-profit organization in Philadelphia that served 8,000 youth annually.
My role in healthcare focused on evaluation and research in pediatric and adolescent population health working with hospitals, schools and communities on Health Literacy, Healthy Eating and Life Skills development. In addition, I've worked in maternal health developing strategies to reduce racial disparities and improve maternal depression outcomes.
For over a decade, I've developed and taught a variety of Public Health/Psychology courses that explore the relationships between health and human rights under reproductive, political, biological, economic, cultural and socially constructed influences. In addition, I helped develop two inaugural undergraduate programs in Public Health. Overall, I'm committed to to making an impact in reducing health disparities in communities that have been marginalized.
My public health areas of interest include: sexual and social health, maternal and child health, health disparities, LGBT health, HIV & human rights and Lifespan Development.
- Brennan, R. & Sell, R. (2014). Mommy, Mama, or Social Mother? The Impact of Language on Lesbian Non-Birth Mothers. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, 43, 531-538.
- Lessard, L., Leng, S., & Brennan, R. (2013). Consistency of Compliance with Nutrition- Related Regulations among Delaware Child Care Centers. Childhood Obesity, 9, 233-239.
- Sapatkin, D. (2013, March). Hiding from the Doctor. The Philadelphia Inquirer, Health & Science C1-C2. (Interview).
- Brennan, R. (2012, April). Take it Outside. Good Housekeeping, 254 (4), 101.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Pennsylvania Public Health Association (PPHA)
- Best Overall Project, Mass General’s Disparities Leadership Program (DLP), 2015
- University of Baltimore's Merit Scholarship in Outstanding Leadership and Academic Achievement (2000)
- West Chester University's Department of Psychology’s Certificate of Excellence in Leadership (1998)