Ronald L. Mersky, BSE, MSE, PhD, PE, BCEE
- Chair of Civil Engineering
- Associate Professor
Programs I Teach
- PhD, Civil Engineering (1985)
University of Pennsylvania (PA)
My goal is to present information in a manner that allows students to effectively and efficiently gain knowledge and understanding. It is not faculty teaching that is important, but rather student learning.
My research interests include municipal waste engineering, management environmental assessment, evaluation of public communication, and education of environmental issues.
The Widener University School of Engineering Solid Waste Project publishes The Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management (JSWTM), an international peer-reviewed journal covering landfill, recycling, waste-to-energy, waste reduction, policy and economics, composting, waste collection and transfer, municipal waste, industrial waste, residual waste and other waste management and technology subjects.
JSWTM, ISSN: 1088-1697, is published quarterly (February, May, August, November).
It is abstracted/indexed in: CAS database (Chemical Abstracts), Engineering Abstracts (Compendex), Environmental Abstracts, Environmental Periodicals Bibliography, Pollution Abstracts, All-Russian Institute of Scientific and Technical Information (VINITI, REFERATIVNYI ZHURNAL ), SCOPUS, Google scholar, EBSCO, SCImago and GreenFILE.
The International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management (ICSW) is an annual conference where researchers, educators, government officials, consultants, managers, community leaders and others meet to present and discuss topics related to all aspects of solid waste technology and management.
The 33rd International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management will be held March 11-14, 2018, in Annapolis, Maryland.
- Regev, Lior, Ronald L. Merksy, and Ayalon, Ofira, "Economic Feasibility of Waste Separation at Source: Case Study of Neighborhoods in Haifa, Israel." Presentation at the Proceedings of the Twenty-Ninth International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management. Philadelphia, PA, March 30–April 2, 2014.
- Lyubarskaya, Maria, and Ronald L. Mersky. "Comparative Analysis of Contemporary, Russian, and American Solid Waste Management Practices." Presentation at the White Paper of U.S. Russia Foundation for Economic Advancement and the Rule of Law (also presented at Saint Petersburg State Economical University, Department of Municipal Economy and Management, October 23, 2013).
- Mersky, Ronald L. "Verification of Exponential Distribution of Arrival and Service Times at Municipal Solid Waste Facilities." Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management 11, no. 4 (2009): 321–327. (also published in Proceedings of APLAS Sapporo 2008, The 5th Asian-Pacific Landfill Symposium, Sapporo, Japan, October 22–24, 2008).
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists (AAEES)
- Edmund Friedman Young Engineer Award for Professional Achievement
- Phi Beta Delta, Honor Society for International Scholars
- Board Certified Environmental Engineer by Eminence