Sabitha Pillai-Friedman, PhD, LCSW, CST
- Assistant Professor
- Gender & Sexuality
- Psychology & Mental Health
Programs I Teach
- Human Sexuality Studies (MEd)
- Human Sexuality Studies (PhD)
- Social Work (MSW) & Human Sexuality Studies (MEd or PhD)
- Human Sexuality (MEd) & Public Administration (MPA)
- Clinical Psychology (PsyD) & Human Sexuality Studies (MEd)
- Sex Therapy Certificate
- PhD, Social Work (1998)
Bryn Mawr College (PA)
I received my PhD in social work from Bryn Mawr College. I also received certifications in couples and sex therapy from the Council for Relationships in Philadelphia. I am an AASECT certified sex therapist and an approved supervisor. I have been practicing individual, couples, and sex therapy for more than 20 years. I am passionate about teaching and mentoring students who want to practice in the field of clinical sexology.
Sex therapists face numerous complicated and challenging situations in their practice. There are no simple algorithms for dealing with all the challenges in the therapeutic environment. Sex therapists have to think on their feet using all their previously acquired knowledge and experience. I strive to teach my students the art of sex therapy in all its complicated renditions.
My research interests include chronic and catastrophic illnesses and sexuality, sexuality across the life span, and the use of sexual fantasies as a treatment tool.
- Pillai-Friedman, S., & Ashline, J. (2014). Women, breast cancer survivorship, sexual losses, and disenfranchised grief—A treatment model for clinicians. Journal of Sexual and Relationship Therapy, in print.
- Kellogg-Spadt, S., Rosenbaum, T.Y., Dweck, A., Milheiser, L., Pillai-Friedman, S., & Krychman, M. (2014). Sexual health and religion: A primer for the sexual health clinician. The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 11(7), 1606–1619.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT); Society for Sex Therapy and Research (SSTAR)
- Faculty Development Grant, Widener University (2014) (2015)