Programs I Teach
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (2017)
Rutgers University (NJ)
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing (2014)
College of St Elizabeth (NJ)
- Associates Degree in Science/ R.N. Diploma (2012)
Union County College (NJ)
My educational philosophy is rooted within a pragmatic approach, meaning to help students apply what they learned in the classroom into their nursing professions and everyday lives. I believe that education must be practical and logically aligned to the diverse needs of an individual and their community. I challenge myself to teach beyond the classroom and keep my students engaged in the lesson by bringing in stories from my many nursing experiences, using realistic case studies to highlight imperative aspects of a topic, and incorporating games to maintain the fun of learning. After obtaining my Doctor of Nursing Practice degree and practicing as a Family Nurse Practitioner, I decided to return to my love of learning and work towards earning a PhD in Sex Education. I wanted to develop more opportunities for essential learning to improve my nursing and teaching career. I know you’re thinking, why sex? Well, why not, sex?! Something so crucial to our very existence, yet taboo and embarrassing for medical professionals to even discuss with their clients. I saw a need for the nursing profession and community at large to address this issue directly through education and research. I encourage my students to think outside the box, beyond hospitals and nursing homes, and impact the world within their unique nursing professions. Varied learning environments provide the opportunity to expose nursing students to as many experiences and situations as possible. It allows them to see just how valuable they are and how much they can truly contribute to this ever-changing society and the future of nursing.
My research interests include Sex Education, Faith-based Health Promotion, overcoming Health care disparities among U.S. minorities, and teaching strategies to best improve nursing student outcomes.
- Abdul Razzaq, S., Arthur, P., & Patel, R. (In Press). Sex Education in the Mosque: An abstinence based approach to prevent HIV, STDs, and teenage pregnancy. Culture, Health & Sexuality.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Love Beyond Love- Founder, President Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing National Black Nurses Association
- Emerging Leader Award, Muslim Wellness Foundation (2018)
- Medal of Excellence, Rutgers University (2017)
- Advanced Education Nursing Traineeship, HRSA (2015)
- DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses, The DAISY Foundation (2014)