Shirlee M. Drayton-Brooks, PhD, FNP-BC, CRNP, FAANP
- Professor of Nursing
- Director of Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- Widener University Director of CMS Graduate Nursing Demonstration Project
Programs I Teach
- PhD, Education: Psychoeducational Processes (1995)
Temple University (PA)
- MSN, Adult Health (1982)
University of Pennsylvania (PA)
- Post-Master's Certificate, Family Nurse Practitioner: Lifespan, Primary Care (1997)
Widener University (PA)
I ascribe to a pragmatic philosophy of teaching and learning. I believe that nursing education must be practical and logically aligned to the diverse needs of the population we served. I received my bachelor of science in nursing in 1977 from Temple University, master's in science in nursing from the University of Pennsylvania in 1983, and a doctor of philosophy in education in 1995 from Temple University.
In 1996 I decided to enhance my educational preparation and practice by becoming a family nurse practitioner. In recognition of the need for substantive public service and leadership, I have served as a university professor, a direct care provider as a family nurse practitioner, and as an advanced practice faculty leader.
From 2007 to 2011, I was appointed to the National Advisory Council on nursing education and practice to advise the HHS Secretary and the U.S. Congress on nursing education and practice under Title VIII. Distinguished historically as the first minority president of the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, headquartered in Washington, D.C., I provided exemplary and visionary leadership substantiated by expanded curricular resources and unprecedented membership and financial growth.
Advanced Practice Nursing & Leadership Faith-based Health Promotion; and Metabolic Syndrome
- Drayton-Brooks, S. (2014). Healthcare Issues. In Blunt, E. (ed.), Family Nurse Practitioner: Nursing Review and Resource Manual (pp.49-106). American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- Drayton-Brooks, S. M (2011). Career issues. In N.M. George, J. Kapustin, A. Thomas, & C. Savrin (Eds.), Leading quality NP programs.
- Drayton-Brooks, S.M., Barksdale, D.J., & Werner, K. E. (2011). An alternative view of the doctor of nursing practice. Nursing Outlook, 59 (3), 115-116. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2011.03.004
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) and American Nurses Association (ANA)
- Fitz Dixon Award for Innovation in Teaching, Widener University (2013)
- Past President, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Fellow American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, American Association of Nurse Practitioners