Help us determine which math class is right for you by taking a math assessment.
Placements & Requirements
All new students receive a math placement after they have paid their enrollment deposit. Placement is determined by their highest SAT or ACT math score.
Not everyone is required to take the math assessment. You will receive an email with your math placement information. Students with math placement of LEV1 do not take the assessment.
Students who need to take the assessment include:
- Students who wish to challenge their provisional level (LEVP2 - LEVP4)
- All engineering majors unless their Math SAT is 690 or higher or the ACT Math score is 29 or higher
- All science majors unless their provisional level is LEVP4 or higher (Math SAT 620/ACT 25 - or higher).
- Transfer students who have no MATH credits:
- Science majors without a MATH equivalence for MATH 120 (Precalculus)
- Engineering majors with no MATH 131/141 (Calculus I) equivalence — check with your advisor and/or the School of Engineering Associate Dean.
The following is a list of minimum system requirements for access to the math assessment. It is recommended that the assessment be taken on a PC or laptop, not a tablet or smartphone.
Supported Browsers & Operating Systems (OS)
|Internet Explorer® 11||Windows|
|Firefox®||Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Google Chrome™||Windows, macOS, Linux, Android|
Möbius does not support Microsoft Edge. Please use Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer 10 or newer.
You must begin with Practice; it may be taken as many times as needed to feel comfortable with the format.
Taking the Assessment
You will be emailed login information once you are notified of your provisional placement. You will not be able to complete the assessment until you have received this email.
To access the assessment, visit the Möbius login page.
User login: full @widener.edu email address
Password: Last Name & Student ID, no spaces (format: Last#######)
To find your Student ID, visit the Applicant Status Portal.
As an undergraduate accepted student, if you are required to take the assessment or you are challenging your provisional placement, you must complete the assessment before attending Pride Experience I: Summer Registration.
The Assessment closes on August 14th.
The assessment is a series of timed question sets: Each set must be completed within the time allowed. Progress cannot be saved during the set; however, you should take a break between each set.
- Practice –You must begin with Practice; it may be taken as many times as needed to feel comfortable with the format.
|Question Sets||# of Questions||General Assessment||Extended Time Assessment|
|Practice - no limit of attempts||25||30 mins||45 mins|
|Algebra & Retake||25||30 mins||45 mins|
|Precalculus & Retake||25||30 mins||45 mins|
|Calculus & Retake||15||20 mins||30 mins|
You cannot retake the full assessment in its entirety but can retake a section if you score less than 50% on that section. If you score less than 50% on a retake, your assessment will be finished at the current section and you will not need to continue to the next section. If you score more than 50% on a section, you should proceed directly to the next section.
Scoring & Placement
Your mathematics level is determined based on how many questions sets you complete.
- Level 2: score less than 50% on algebra or retake
- Level 3: score less than 50% on precalculus or retake
- Level 4: score less than 50% on calculus or retake
- Level 5: score more than 50% on calculus or retake
The level corresponds with the level needed for the courses listed below, under, "How do I know what course I have to take after I complete the assessment?"
Students can check their results on Widener's student portal about 2 to 3 days after results are submitted from the assessment. Go to Test Summary. If you have not finished the assessment, the provisional level will be shown.
The list below indicates the prerequisite level for the courses listed. The mathematics courses you are required to take will vary depending on your major. Please check with your advisor.
Level 1, 2 | MATH 101 Fundamental Mathematics
Level 3 | MATH 111 Mathematical Ideas I
Level 3 | MATH 112 Mathematical Ideas II
Level 3 | MATH 114 Basic Probability
Level 3 | MATH 116 Nature of Mathematics
Level 3 | MATH 117 Elementary Functions
Level 3 | MATH 120 Precalculus
Level 3 | MATH 151 Elementary Discrete Mathematics I
Level 4 | MATH 118 Elementary Calculus I
Level 4 l MATH 119 Elementary Statistics for Business
Level 4 | MATH 131 Calculus with Review I
Level 5 | MATH 141 Calculus I
The final grade achieved will replace any provisional placement, regardless if it is higher or lower.
- If you are placed at Level 1, you do not take the assessment and will not be able to login. You can check your placement at my.widener.edu > Academic Profile > Test Summary
- Did you pay your enrollment deposit recently? Students are registered for the math assessment approximately three days after Widener receives their deposit. If you recently paid, wait a few days and try again
- Did you receive a message that your Widener email address was not found in the system? Please contact the math department to ensure you are registered for the assessment
- Make sure you are using your full @widener.edu email address and that the password does not have any leading zeros. For example, 1/1/1993 is correct but 01/01/1993 is incorrect
- If you aren't sure of your password, click on "Forgot your password" and enter your full Widener email address
Contact Michaela Tauscher at email@example.com and explain the problem.
Get in Touch
Have a Question? Contact Us.