5 Reasons You Don’t Want to Miss Homecoming 2019
What is it that unites us? What is it that drives us to paint our faces and cheer on our football team? Or march on the field with brooms? Or painstakingly decorate golf carts?
The answer is a nine letter word that unites Widener like a blue and gold thread: tradition.
Homecoming/Family Weekend is right around the corner on Oct. 11 – 12. Here are five reasons you won’t want to miss it:
1. Did someone say tailgating? You’re invited to enjoy the tailgate festivities of food, fun and music while catching up with friends and showing your Widener Pride! Register in advance so you don’t miss the fun.
2. Which is louder – the roar of Widener’s football fans or the boom of a cannon? Attend the homecoming football game to find out. Purchase tickets online so that you’re ready for kick off Saturday, Oct. 12 at 1 p.m.
3. Be there for halftime when the traditions of Widener come to life with the annual broom drill. The tradition dates back to the 19th century when legend has it that Pennsylvania Military College cadets drilled with broomsticks because the governor had not yet given the school firearms.
4. What homecoming isn’t complete without a parade of handcrafted floats? Catch the beloved student organizations of Widener as they take to the field and showcase their unique golf carts.
5. Stay tuned to halftime to find out who will be crowned king and queen from our homecoming court!
Check out the full schedule of events online. And, we can’t wait to see you there!