Xiaobao Li, PhD
- Associate Professor
Programs I Teach
- Elementary Education: The Early Years and Special Education (BA)
- Special Education (MEd)
- Instructional Technology (MEd)
- Graduate Education Certificates
- PA State Education Certifications & Endorsements
- Secondary Education (Certification)
- PhD, Curriculum & Instruction (2006)
Texas A&M University—College Station (TX)
I am an associate professor in mathematics education here at Widener University. I earned my PhD in mathematics education in 2006 from Texas A&M University. Coming from the University of Houston where I was an assistant professor in math education for four years, I came to Widener in 2012.
I have authored or co-authored 15 publications in top-tier journals in education such as Cognition and Instruction, Educational Studies in Mathematics, The Journal of Educational Research, and The Journal of Mathematical Behavior. I have made numerous major presentations at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) and National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) annual meetings. My research has been awarded the Distinguished Paper Award from the AERA. I also won the Outstanding Reviewer Award from the Review of Educational Research.
My research focuses on translating teachers' knowledge into classroom practice.
- Li, X., Staulters, M., Gozza-Cohen, M., & Schaming, S. (2015). Middle school students' conceptual based errors in variables. Betwixt and Between: Education for Young Adolescents, 1(2), 15-28.
- Pifer, M. J., Reisboard, D., Staulters, M., Li, X., Gozza-Cohen, M., McHenry, N., Schaming, S., & Gilio, B. (2014). Finding the motivation: The evolution of a faculty scholarship symposium. Journal of Faculty Development, 28(1), 9-18.
- Ding, M., & Li, X. (2014). Transition from concrete to abstract representations: The distributive property in a Chinese textbook series. Educational Studies in Mathematics. doi: 10.1007/s10649-014-9558-y
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Kappa Delta Pi (KDP)
- AERA Distinguished Paper Award at American Educational Research Association
- Outstanding Reviewer of Review of Educational Research