- Mathematics Secretary
- Academic Center North, Room 279
- tel: 610-499-1243
Ready to complete the math assessment?
Click here to begin!
Username: full @widener.edu email address
Password: birth date (format: 1/1/1993)
Help us determine which math class is right for you by taking a math assessment.
You will be assigned a provisional math placement level once your enrollment deposit
is paid. This level determines what math classes you may take as well as eligibility
for certain other courses.
The online math assessment is available for students who wish to challenge their provisional
math placement as well as for specific majors that require advanced insight into your
mathematics skills set. Note that students placed at Level 1 do not take the assessment;
they must take MATH 101 before any higher level courses.
Placements and Requirements
- Are there any technical computer requirements for taking the assessment?
- Can I practice taking the assessment?
Taking the Assessment
- Where do I go to take the assessment and how do I log in?
- Is there a deadline for completing the assessment?
- How long will it take and is it timed?
- What is the format?
- Can I retake the assessment?
- Can I request testing accommodations?
Scoring and Placement
- How is it scored and how do I see my grades?
- How do I know what course I have to take after I complete the assessment?
- What if I score lower than my provisional level?
- I can't log in.
- Nothing happens when I click "Practice."
- I can't see the graphics.
- My computer crashed in the middle of a question set.
All new students receive a math placement after they have paid their enrollment deposit. Placement is determined by their highest SAT math score or ACT scores if SAT scores are unavailable.
Not everyone is required to take the math assessment. You will receive a letter stating your eligibility or requirement for taking the assessment. Students who take the assessment include:
- Students who wish to challenge their provisional level (LEVP2 - LEVP4)
- All engineering majors unless their Math SAT is 690 or higher or the ACT Math score is 29 or higher
- All science majors unless their provisional level is LEVP4 or higher (Math SAT 620/ACT 25 - or higher).
back to top
The following is a list of minimum system requirements for access to the math assessment. It is recommended that the assessment be taken on a PC or laptop, not a tablet or smartphone.
For all computers:
- Set your screen resolution to at least 1024x768 pixels
- Java 1.6 or Java 1.7
- Minimum 1 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM
|Windows (32 and 64 bit)||Mac (64 bit)||Linux|
|OS||Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1||OS X, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9||SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12, Red Hat Enterprise 6, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 13.10|
|Browser||Firefox Chrome Internet Explorer (9.0, 10.0, 11.0)||Firefox Safari (6.1, 7.0)||Firefox (3.6, 7.0) Chrome|
You will be emailed login information once you are notified of your provisional placement. You will not be able to complete the assessment until you have received this email.
To access the assessment, visit the Mathematics Assessment - Maple T.A. login page.
User login: full @widener.edu email address
Password: birthdate without leading zeros. (Example: March 4, 1999 entered as 3/4/1999)
Be sure to review the technical requirements above before beginning.
The assessment is a series of timed question sets: Each set must be completed within the time allowed. Progress cannot be saved during the set; however, you should take a break between each set.
- Practice –You must begin with Practice; it may be taken as many times as needed
to feel comfortable with the format.
|Question Sets||# of Questions||General Assessment||Extended Time Assessment|
|Practice - no limit of attempts||25||30 mins||45 mins|
|Algebra & Retake||25||30 mins||45 mins|
|Precalculus & Retake||25||30 mins||45 mins|
|Calculus & Retake||15||20 mins||30 mins|
After you complete a question set, you will be shown the number of correct answers. If the score is less than 50%, do the retake. If the score is 50% or more proceed to the next section. Continue the assessment until you reach the final grade report that reads, "Thank you for completing the Widener mathematics assessment. You have reached the level of (2,3,4, or 5)." This is your confirmation that you have finished. You may reach the final report before completing all the sections, but be sure to keep going until the final grade report.
If you are required to take the assessment or you are challenging your provisional placement, you must complete the assessment before attending Pride Experience I: Summer Registration. The Assessment closes on August 1st.
You cannot retake the full assessment in its entirety but can retake a section if you score less than 50% on that section. If you score less than 50% on a retake, your assessment will be finished at the current section and you will not need to continue to the next section. If you score more than 50% on a section, you should proceed directly to the next section.
Your mathematics level is determined based on how many questions sets you complete.
The level corresponds with the level needed for the courses listed below.
- Level 2: score less than 50% on algebra or retake
- Level 3: score less than 50% on precalculus or retake
- Level 4: score less than 50% on calculus or retake
- Level 5: score more than 50% on calculus or retake
Students can check their results on Widener's student portal about 2 to 3 days after results are submitted from the assessment. Go to Test Summary. If you have not finished the assessment, the provisional level will be shown.
The final grade achieved will replace any provisional placement, regardless if it is higher or lower.
The table below indicates the prerequisite level for the courses listed. The mathematics
courses you are required to take will vary depending on your major. Please check with your advisor.
Level Mathematics Course
1, 2 MATH 101 Fundamental Mathematics
3 MATH 111 Mathematical Ideas I
3 MATH 112 Mathematical Ideas II
3 MATH 114 Basic Probability
3 MATH 116 Nature of Mathematics
3 MATH 117 Elementary Functions
3 MATH 120 Precalculus
3 MATH 151 Elementary Discrete Mathematics I
4 MATH 118 Elementary Calculus I
4 MATH 131 Calculus with Review I
5 MATH 141 Calculus I
- Did you pay your enrollment deposit recently?
Students are registered for the math assessment approximately three days after Widener receives their deposit. If you recently paid, wait a few days and try again.
- Did you receive a message that your Widener email address was not found in the system?
Please contact the math department to ensure you are registered for the assessment.
- Make sure you are using your full @widener.edu email address and that the password does not have any leading zeros. For example, 1/1/1993 is correct but 01/01/1993 is incorrect.
- If you aren't sure of your password, click on "Forgot your password" and enter your
full Widener email address.
back to top
Make sure that your browser is set to allow for pop-ups.
Make sure that you have enabled Java and that your browser is set to accept cookies from: http://place28.placementtester.com:8080/widener/login/login.do
Contact Michaela Tauscher at firstname.lastname@example.org and explain the problem.
Have a question? Please contact the math department at 610-499-1243, or email@example.com.