Donna M. Callaghan, PhD, RN-BC, CNE
- Associate Dean of Teaching and Learning
Programs I Teach
- PhD, Nursing Science (2000)
Widener University (PA)
- MSN, Nursing Education (1987)
Villanova University (PA)
- BS, in Nursing (1981)
Pennsylvania State University (PA)
My teaching philosophy has its roots in Bandura's Theory of Self-Efficacy. I believe that students learn (and clients change behaviors) through observing others perform activities, doing the activities themselves, having positive feedback provided, and having their anxieties decreased.
I developed a health promotion across the life span intervention along with the assistance of two graduate students. The program focuses on spiritual growth as the foundation of health promotion. With the assistance of three undergraduate honors students, the program was offered to a faith community, a nursing education community, and an older adult senior community.
I am a certified faith community nurse whose practice spans from my parish, to my university community, to the national and international communities. I am a certified faculty of the Westberg Institute for Faith Community Nursing's "Foundations of Faith Community Nursing Curriculum". This course is taught through the Widener University School of Nursing, an educational partner of the Westberg Institute.
Health Promotion across the Life Span; Spirituality and Health; and Faith Community Nursing Outcomes
- Callaghan, D. M. (2016). Implementing faith community nursing interventions to promote healthy behaviors in adults. International Journal of Faith Community Nursing, 2(1). Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/ijfcn/vol2/iss1/2
- Callaghan, D. M. (2015). The development of a faith community nursing intervention to promote health across the life span. International Journal of Faith Community Nursing, 1(2). Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/ijfcn/vol1/iss2/2/
- Callaghan, D. M. (2006). The influence of spiritual growth on self-care agency in an older adult population. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 32, 43-51.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Sigma Theta Tau International; American Nurses Association – New Jersey State Nurses Association; National League for Nursing; Health Ministries Association; Faith Community Nurses International
- Sigma Theta Tau Eta Beta Chapter Excellence in Leadership Award (2016)
- Sigma Theta Tau Eta Beta Chapter Excellence in Research Award (2013)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Alpha Nu Chapter, Villanova University (1987)