Normajean Colby, PhD, RN, CNE, CPN
- Associate Professor
- PhD, Nursing Science Education (2010)
Widener University (PA)
- MSN, Burn, Emergency, Trauma (1991)
Widener University (PA)
I have been a nurse educator at Widener University for more than 20 years and have truly enjoyed the opportunity to impact the profession through my interactions with student nurses. I also am very fortunate to keep in contact with many of our nursing graduates.
Pediatric trauma nursing is where my heart lies, but there are numerous other areas of pediatric nursing that I also have experience with and a passion for. Teaching others is a wonderful opportunity, but as lifelong learners, we as nurses are in a position to learn from our patients and their families on a daily basis, and as educators, we learn also from our students.
Designation as "Safe Space Ally" and "Service Learning Faculty Fellow
My research interests include: men in nursing; diversity in the nursing profession; interprofessional education; and collaboration
- Colby, N. (2013). Seeking gender balance in nursing Lessons to be learned as nursing is described by practicing men in nursing." Presentation at AAMN Conference.
- Colby, N. (2012). Caring from the male perspective: A gender neutral concept. International Journal for Human Caring, 16 (4), 36-41.
- Colby, N. (2011). Caring in nursing practice: A concept that transcends gender. Presentation at a STTI Conference
- Spurlock, D., Colby, N., & Patterson, B. (2018) “Gender Differences and Similarities in Accelerated Nursing Education Programs: Evidence of Success from the New Careers in Nursing Program. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Wellmon, R, Baumberger-Henry, M., Colby, N., Knauss, L., Fletcher, P. (2017). Changing Student Attitudes Toward Interprofessional Learning and Collaboration: Evidence for the Effectiveness of Partnering with Healthcare Mentors in an Academic Setting. Journal of Allied Health 46(4), 205-212.
- Wellmon R, Knauss L, Gilin B, Baumberger-Henry M, Colby N, Rush T, Inman Linn M. Use of a Video-Based Case Study to Promote Interprofessional Learning and Collaboration Skills. MedEdPORTAL; 2013. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9612
- Neutral Concept. International Journal for Human Caring, 16, 36-41.
- Colby, N., Spurlock, D., & Patterson, B. (2018) Accelerated Nursing Education Programs: Are there Gender Differences? The 43rd Annual American Association for Men in Nursing Conference, Milwaukee, WI (October 4-6, 2018) (National)
- Colby, N. & McHenry, N. (2016) Interprofessional Education: An Exemplar of a Service Learning/Civic Engagement Collaboration between Teacher Candidates and Nursing Students. The New American Colleges and Universities, 2016 Summer Institute, Manhattan College, Riverdale, NY (June 22-24, 2016) (National)
- Wellmon, R., Colby, N., Baumberger-Henry, M., Fletcher, P., Knauss, L. (2014). Changing Student Attitudes Toward Interprofessional Learning and Collaboration: Partnering with Healthcare Mentors in the Academic Setting. Paper presented at the Interprofessional Care for the 21st Century: Redefining Education and Practice, Thomas Jefferson University Philadelphia, PA
- Wellmon, R., Colby, N. Baumberger-Henry, M., Fletcher, P., Knauss, L. (2014). Partnering with health care mentors to enhance interprofessional collaboration competencies: Evidence for effectiveness in preparing students to be part of the 21st century workforce. All Together Better Health, VII, Pittsburgh PA (International)
- Pinto-Zipp, G., Maher, C., Wellmon, R., Knauss, L., Colby, N., Baumberger- Henry, M. (2014). Creating faculty engagement in interprofessional learning experiences. All Together Better Health VII, Pittsburgh, Pa (International)
- Colby, N. (2013). Seeking Gender Balance in Nursing – Lessons to be Learned as Nursing is Described by Practicing Registered Nurses who are Men, October 25, 2013. Presented at the 38th Annual Conference American Assembly for Men in Nursing, Men in Nursing: Guided by the Past, Based on the Present, & Unfolding our Future, Elizabeth, New Jersey (National)
- Colby, N. (2012). Caring from the Male Perspective: A Gender Neutral Concept, June 1, 2012. Presented at the 33rd International Association for Human Caring Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (International)
- Colby, N. (2011). Caring in Nursing Practice: A Concept that Transcends Gender, October 31, 2011. Presented at the Sigma Theta Tau International 41st Biennial Convention, Grapevine, Texas (International)
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Assembly for Men in Nursing (AAMN), Society of Pediatric Nurses (SPN), Phi Kappa Phi, Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI), National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP), National League for Nursing (NLN), International Association of Human Caring (IAHC), Nursing of Children Network (NCN), Faith Community Nurses International; International Nurses Association
- Love of Learning Award - Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society (2013)
- Excellence in Leadership Award, Eta Beta Chapter STTI (2013)
- Outstanding Performance Award- highest score on 2001 CPN exam, PNCB (2002)
- Lindback Foundation Award for Distinguished Teaching, 2015
- Widener University Outstanding Alumna Award, 2017
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society Love of Learning Award, 2013
- Nominated for Widener University Institutional Leadership Award, 2019
- The National Certification Board of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and Nurses, Inc. "Outstanding Performance Award" 2002