Richard M. Cooper, PhD, MSW
- Director of the BSW Program and Co-Coordinator African American Studies
- Social Justice
- Social Work (PhD)
- Social Work (MSW)
- Social Work (BSW)
- Human Sexuality Studies & Social Work (MEd or PhD & MSW Dual Degree)
- PhD, Urban Education (2002)
Temple University (PA)
- MSW, Social Work Practice (1984)
Howard University (DC)
I have a working class background and was raised in semi-rural Chester County, PA. I was drawn to activism and social change buttressed by the Civil Rights Movement and a desire to engage in the work that addressed oppression and racism directly. Social work for me is a calling. I seek to prepare students to cogently discover and articulate their future work/mission for a myriad of practice opportunities in the field.
My goal is to improve and develop students' knowledge bases and skill sets. But more importantly, I teach them to become change agents and to understand the value and importance of the work that we undertake. For me it is an honor and a privilege to closely interact with students on their educational sojourns.
My research interests are culturally centered educational pedagogy, therapeutic methodological frameworks, healing, counseling agency-based practice, and emancipation-oriented paradigms for African Americans and other disempowered populations.
- Social work clinical practice and counseling
- Socio-political issues regarding African Americans
- Adolescent and youth popular culture
- African American music
- Domestic polices
- Initiatives from President Obama
- Black history
- Black males
- Hip hop culture and R&B music
- Culture diversity
- Movie reviews
- Cooper, R.M., Groce, J.T., & Thomas N.D. (2003). Changing direction: Rites of passage programs for African American older men. Journal of African American Studies, 7(3), 3–14.
- Cooper, R.M., & Caucus, B. (1998). African-centered social work supervision: Moving from African-centered theory to Africana social work practice. Journal of the National Association of Black Social Workers.
In the Media
- The Philadelphia Tribune
- USA Today