Vicki L. Brown, PhD, PE
- PhD, Civil Engineering (1988)
University of Delaware (DE)
My technical expertise is in the application of high-performance fiber-reinforced polymer composites for reinforced concrete structures, and I serve on the editorial board for the ASCE Journal of Composites in Construction.
I am a fellow of the American Concrete Institute, a past member of the board of directors of the Philadelphia section of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), and a member of the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) and the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE).
I am actively involved with student outreach efforts in all these organizations and am particularly proud of the award-winning engineering girls camp that I organize each year to introduce high school girls to the possibilities of a career in engineering. The camp is a joint effort between Widener and the Philadelphia Section of the Society of Women Engineers, and over the past 15 years more than 2,000 high school girls have attended Widener's Engineering Mini-Camp which won Dow-Corning's national "Outstanding Outreach Event" in 2009.
My research interests are focused on the characterization and use of fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites as a substitute for steel in reinforced concrete construction. My work encompasses both internal reinforcement for new construction and external reinforcement for strengthening and repair of existing structures, contributing to the development of an innovative technique for mechanically-fastening FRP laminates to the tension soffit of concrete beams.
As a fellow of the American Concrete Institute, I was recently appointed chairman of the ACI international committee that is tasked with developing code language for the design of structural concrete reinforced with FRP bars.
- Concrete design
- The use of advanced composite materials in construction
- Reinforced concrete structures
- Napoli, Annalisa, Lawrence C. Bank, Vicki L. Brown, Enzo Martinelli, Fabio Matta, and Roberto Realfonzo. "Analysis and Design of RC Structures Strengthened with Mechanically Fastened FRP Laminates: A Review." Elsevier Composites Part B 55, (2013): 386–399.
- Brown, Vicki L., Andrew Dinh, and Giovanna Iacono. "Flexural Behavior of Mechanically-Fastened FRP-Strengthened Concrete Members." Presentation at the ACI Special Publication 275: Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Fiber-Reinforced Polymer in Reinforced Concrete Structures (FRPRCS-10). Farmington Hills, MI, 2011.
- Bakis, C.E., L.C. Bank, Vicki L. Brown, E. Cosenza, J.F. Davalos, J.J. Lesko, A. Machida, S.H. Rizkalla, and T.C. Triantafillou. "Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Composites for Construction State-of-the-Art Review." ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, 6, no. 2 (2002): 73–87.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Concrete Institute (ACI), American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Society of Women Engineers (SWE), American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Lindback Foundation Award for Distinguished Teaching (1994)
- ASCE Philadelphia Section Outstanding Civil Engineering Educator (2005)
- American Concrete Institute Fellow (2008)