Kamran Fouladi, PhD, PE
- Assistant Professor
Programs I Teach
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering (1990)
Old Dominion University (VA)
My expertise is in the area of thermal-fluids with professional experience at NASA, Lockheed Martin, and Pratt & Whitney. I also have years of consulting experience as a simulation engineer and trainer. I like to share my professional experiences with students in the context of the material taught in the classroom for them to realize what they are learning is not just abstract concepts.
My research interests are focused on the development and application of state-of-the-art thermal-fluid simulation tools for complex configurations and mission-critical facilities. My current interest is in the area of the fluid-structure interactions in micro-scaled air and underwater vehicles.
- Fouladi, K., & Schaadt, J. (2020). A Simulation-Based Approach to Data Center Thermal Efficiency Optimization. ASME Journal of Engineering for Sustainable Buildings and Cities, 1, 1.
- Silva-Llanca, L., & Ortega, A., & Fouladi, K., & del Valle, M., & Sundaralingame, V. (2017). Determining Wasted Energy in the Airside of a Perimeter-Cooled Data Center via Direct Computation of the Exergy Destruction. Applied Energy, 213, 235-246.
- Fouladi, K., & Czupryna, J. (2018). CFD-Based Optimization of Micro Vortex Diodes. Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 11 (5),1231-1237.
- Fouladi, K., & Wemhoff, A., & Silva-Llanca, L., & Abbasi, K., & Ortega, A. (2017). Optimization of Data Center Cooling Efficiency Using Reduced Order Flow Modeling Within a Flow Network Modeling Approach. Applied Thermal Engineering, 124, 929–939.
- Fouladi, K., & Wemhoff, A., & Silva-Llanca, L., & Ortega, L. (2014). Optimization of Data Center Cooling Efficiency Using Reduced Order Flow Modeling Within a Flow Network Modeling Approach. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition.
- Fouladi, K., & Schaadt, J., & Wemhoff, A. (2017). A Novel Approach to the Data Center Hybrid Cooling Design with Containment. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications, 71(5), 477-487.
- Bhalerao, A., & Fouladi, K., & Silva-Llanca, L., & Wemhoff, A. (2016). Rapid Predictions of Exergy Destruction in Data Centers Due to Airflow Mixing. Numerical Heat Transf. Part A: Applications, Vol 70 (1).
- Schaadt, J., & Fouladi, K., & Wemhoff, A., & Wu, T. (2014) Load Capacity and Thermal Efficiency Optimization of a Research Data Center Using Computational Modeling. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Society of Mechanical Engineers, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, The International Association for the Engineering Modelling, Analysis and Simulation Community, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, 7x24 Exchange