Kamran Fouladi, PhD, PE
- Chair of Mechanical Engineering
- Associate Professor
BS, Mechanical Engineering, Florida International University (1982)
ME, Mechanical Engineering, Old Dominion University (VA) (1986)
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Old Dominion University (VA) (1990)
My expertise is in the area of thermal-fluids with professional experience at NASA, Lockheed Martin, and Pratt & Whitney. I also have years of consulting experience as a simulation engineer and trainer. I like to share my professional experiences with students in the context of the material taught in the classroom for them to realize what they are learning is not just abstract concepts.
My research interests are focused on the development and application of state-of-the-art thermal-fluid simulation tools for complex configurations and mission-critical facilities. My current interest is in the area of the fluid-structure interactions in micro-scaled air and underwater vehicles.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Numerical Simulation
- Heat Transfer
- Livolsi, F., May, T., Caputo, D., Fouladi, K., and Eslami, B. (2020). “Multiscale Study on Effect of Humidity on Shape Memory Polymers Used in 3D Printing,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 143.9 (2021): 091010
- Fouladi, K., & Schaadt, J. (2020). A Simulation-Based Approach to Data Center Thermal Efficiency Optimization. ASME Journal of Engineering for Sustainable Buildings and Cities, 1, 1.
- Fouladi, K. (2019) (in press). “FSI and Exergy-based Assessment of Flexible Flapping Foil Propulsion,” International Journal of CFD Case Studies, Accepted for publication.
- Silva-Llanca, L., & Ortega, A., & Fouladi, K., & del Valle, M., & Sundaralingame, V. (2017). Determining Wasted Energy in the Airside of a Perimeter-Cooled Data Center via Direct Computation of the Exergy Destruction. Applied Energy, 213, 235-246.
- Fouladi, K., & Czupryna, J. (2018). CFD-Based Optimization of Micro Vortex Diodes. Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 11 (5),1231-1237.
- Fouladi, K., & Wemhoff, A., & Silva-Llanca, L., & Abbasi, K., & Ortega, A. (2017). Optimization of Data Center Cooling Efficiency Using Reduced Order Flow Modeling Within a Flow Network Modeling Approach. Applied Thermal Engineering, 124, 929–939.
- Fouladi, K., & Wemhoff, A., & Silva-Llanca, L., & Ortega, L. (2014). Optimization of Data Center Cooling Efficiency Using Reduced Order Flow Modeling Within a Flow Network Modeling Approach. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition.
- Fouladi, K., & Schaadt, J., & Wemhoff, A. (2017). A Novel Approach to the Data Center Hybrid Cooling Design with Containment. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications, 71(5), 477-487.
- Bhalerao, A., & Fouladi, K., & Silva-Llanca, L., & Wemhoff, A. (2016). Rapid Predictions of Exergy Destruction in Data Centers Due to Airflow Mixing. Numerical Heat Transf. Part A: Applications, Vol 70 (1).
- Schaadt, J., & Fouladi, K., & Wemhoff, A., & Wu, T. (2014) Load Capacity and Thermal Efficiency Optimization of a Research Data Center Using Computational Modeling. ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Society of Mechanical Engineers, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers, 7x24 Exchange, NAFEMS
In the Media
Mechanical Engineering Assistant Professor Babal Eslami, Associate Professor Kamran Fouladi, and engineering alumnus Thomas May published an article titled, “Optimization of 3D printer enclosure environment” in The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. The article explains their study of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and experimental testing that was used to optimize 3D printing.
Share link: https://www.widener.edu/node/22236/