How to Apply as an International Student
Interested in attending Widener University? Our admissions team is here to help walk you through the application process as an international student.
Interested in attending Widener University to pursue an education in the United States? Our team is here to walk you through the application process and answer any and all of your questions along the way.
We can't wait to learn more about you through your application!
How to Apply as an Undergraduate International Student
- Complete your free online application (If you are attending a secondary school, or if you have taken fewer than 12 credits at a college or university, complete the freshman application. If you have attempted at least 12 credits at a college or university, complete the transfer application.)
- Submit your official transcripts from all high school and college/university institutions you have attended. A course-by-course credential evaluation completed by a NACES certified organization will be accepted if the transcript is not in the English language.
- Fulfill the English Proficiency requirements (see tab)
- Additional program-specific requirements apply for students seeking admission into an engineering or nursing program.
Freshman Engineering Applicants
In addition to the standard university requirements for admission, freshman engineering applicants must have one of the following to satisfy the math requirement:
- Take Widener's free, online math assessment and score 3 or higher
- Receive a minimum of 540 on the SAT Math (or the equivalent ACT Math score of 21)
- Present required IB/AP exam scores for credit
Transfer Engineering Applicants
In addition to the standard university requirements for admission, students who have completed college-level coursework and are transferring into an engineering program must meet all of the following requirements:
- 2.50 cumulative grade point average on a 4.0 scale from all post-secondary institutions attended
- Grade of "C" or higher in Calculus I*
- Grade of "C" or higher in one of the following subjects: General Chemistry I, Physics I, or Biology I*
- Final official transcript must show that Calculus I and the science requirement course has been successfully completed. If courses are in progress at the time of application, you may still be conditionally admitted but will need to show successful completion of the courses before matriculation.
- Comprehensive, course-by-course credential evaluation with the calculation of the GPA completed by any NACES certified organization.**
* Course grades must be approved for transfer credit towards the graduation requirements in the engineering curriculum
** This requirement is waived for transfers from accredited U.S. colleges.
Non-native English speaking applicants born outside the United States are required to submit the results of a test of English proficiency.
Accepted English proficiency scores and requirements are as follows:
- IELTS Overall Band Score – 6.5
- TOEFL iBT Total Score – 80 (26 minimum on the speaking section)
Transcripts are an important part of the admissions evaluation process. If you are currently enrolled in courses and do not have your final transcripts, share your current transcripts now and re-submit your official final transcripts after completion.
All educational documents must be accompanied by official English translations and must carry the seal or stamp of the issuing educational institution. Transcripts and marksheets may be attested or notarized copies.
A course-by-course credential evaluation completed by a NACES certified organization will be accepted if your transcript is not available in English.
Send Via Email
Please email your official transcript to the firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send Via Mail
Printed copies of your official transcript can be mailed to:
Office of Admissions
One University Place
Chester, PA 19013
International applications are reviewed on a rolling basis which means there is no set deadline for applying.
Once your application and supplemental materials have been received, you can expect to hear a decision within 2-to-4 weeks.
If you do not submit your deposit by the deadline indicated in your acceptance letter, your admissions may be cancelled.
Meet Your Counselors
Our international admissions specialists are at-the-ready to help you throughout the application process.