military student and PMC alum

Financial Aid for Military Students, Veterans, & Families

As the former Pennsylvania Military College, our dedication to military students and their families runs deep. Widener is proud to offer numerous opportunities for military-affiliated students to finance their education.

Explore Additional Financial Aid Options

How to Apply for VA Educational Benefits

In order to apply for VA benefits, review the Veteran's Affair's website where you will find information about eligibility and applying for your Certificate of Eligibility through the Department of Veteran's Affairs.

Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility, submit a copy of the certificate, your DD214 papers when applicable, and Widener University's Application for Veterans Enrollment Certification to the veteran’s services department in Lipka Hall.

For information on the new GI Bill® and specific benefit questions, please contact the Department of Veteran's Affairs.

Widener Military Forms & Resources

Military Financial Aid from Widener University

  • Open to: high-achieving, undergraduate students that are contracted cadets in Widener's Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) program*
  • How to apply: four-year scholarship applicants should apply online; two- and three-year applicants should contact the recruiting operations officer.
  • Deadline:
    • High school students: February 4 of senior year
    • College students: Semester prior to receiving benefits
    • Military personnel (Green to Gold): November 26 (April 1 for Hip Pocket)
  • Scholarship amount: up to full tuition and fees, $1,200 per year for books, a monthly stipend averaging $420. Widener also provides free room and board (the cost of a basic double room and a Gold meal plan) to all ROTC scholarship winners.

Four-, three-, and two-year scholarships are available to qualified students and are awarded solely on the basis of merit and demonstrated excellence. No test of financial need is required.

  • Strong academic credentials
  • A broad background in co-curricular and community support activities
  • A GPA of 2.5 (minimum); the national average is 3.6
  • A SAT of 1000 (CR+M) or ACT composite of 19 (minimums); 1250/28 is the national average

Applicants must also pass a Department of Defense Medical Examination (DoDMERB) and meet the standards of the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) within their first semester at college.

The Mundy Endowed Scholarship Fund will match the amount students receive from the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation, up to $5,000 per year for four years.

In order to receive the scholarship match, you must first apply and receive the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation award.

If you received the award, please contact Widener's veteran's service department for next steps.

Widener alumnus Mr. Tom Bown and his wife Bonnie Bown have offered this generous opportunity that ensures a Widener education is not one more sacrifice the children of our military have to make.

The Marine Corp Scholarship Foundation is the nation’s oldest and largest provider of need-based scholarships to military children, with particular attention given to those whose parent has been killed or wounded in combat, or who have demonstrated financial need.


U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits

The GI Bill® has helped millions of veterans pay for college since 1944 and is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of VA.

The Montgomery GI Bill ® is available to those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces as active duty or selected reserve members.

  • The Montgomery GI Active Duty Program, sometimes known as Chapter 30, provides education benefits to veterans and service members who have completed at least two years of active duty service
  • The Montgomery GI Selected Reserve Program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, and Coast Guard Reserve, as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard

The Post 9-11 GI Bill is available for veterans with active-duty service after September 11, 2001, and also offers a living allowance, money for books, and the option to transfer education benefits that are not used to the spouse or children.

yellow ribbon program logo

Widener University also participates in the Yellow Ribbon program, an agreement with the VA to fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed the tuition and fee amounts payable under the Post 9-11 GI Bill®.

The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35) program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans. Eligible individuals are veterans’ and service members’ dependents and surviving spouses who have been found eligible by the Regional Processing Office.

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment program provides services to eligible service members and veterans with service-connected disabilities to help them prepare for, obtain, and maintain suitable employment or achieve independence in daily living. Widener is in contact with each students Chapter 31 counselor at the VA to retain funds for tuition, fees, books, and supplies.

Get in Touch

For general assistance with the financial aid process, please contact our financial aid team. For support regarding the VA education benefit programs, please contact veteran and military affairs.