Living on Campus FAQs

Campus Move-In Dates & Times

After careful consideration, we have revised our fall semester plan for residence halls. First-year undergraduate students, including first-year transfer students, will not live on campus for the fall semester.

Plans for spring semester housing are still under review and will be affected by the circumstances created by the COVID-19 pandemic. For additional information, please refer to our Coronavirus page at

For additional details regarding New Student Orientation, please refer to the New & Incoming Students page.

Upperclassmen Move-In Weekend for Fall 2020 begins Friday, August 21, and ends Sunday, August 23

We are excited to invite you back to our residence halls, your home away from home! In order to make your experience as smooth as possible, we've compiled some information that will help prepare students for what to expect. We encourage students to log into their Housing Portal prior to arriving to verify their residence hall and room number.

  • To allow for appropriate physical distancing and to create a smooth check-in process for students, families, and staff, all students are required to sign up for a move-in appointment.
  • Timeslots are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, therefore, students should register as soon as possible in order to select their desired move-in date and time. After students sign up, a confirmation email will be sent to their Widener email account with details about the move-in process and additional instructions.
  • Once a move-in appointment is scheduled, students should note their appointment date/time, as they will only be permitted to move in during their specific move-in appointment window.
  • We ask that students bring no more than one family member or guest to assist with move-in.
  • We will require residents moving in, and their support person, to wear masks throughout the move-in process that fully cover the mouth and nose.
  • Pack Light: We ask residents to limit the volume of belongings they bring with them to campus in case they are required to return home during the semester.

Important Housing Policies

All full-time undergraduate (freshman, sophomore, and junior) students are required to live on campus until they attain senior class status, unless they qualify for commuter status.

Our housing policy is designed to support the success of our students. Living on campus provides students with unmatched access to resources and activities leading to better grades, higher graduation rates, and more time with friends.

Students who live on campus must understand that the housing application and agreement they sign is binding for the upcoming academic year. The effective date of your agreement is the date you check-in or occupy your residence hall space. 

Please review the Residence Life: Program Policies, Procedures, and Regulations section of the Student Handbook for more details.

Students who qualify for commuter status are not required to live on campus. To qualify for commuter status, you must live at home with parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and within 25 miles from the university or from your co-op, internship, or student teaching location.
Additional Exceptions for Full-Time Students to Qualify for Commuter Status:

  • You are married.*
  • You are the custodial parent of a child.
  • You are a veteran with at least two years of active military service.
  • You are 24 years of age or older.
  • You have 88+ credits may reside off campus. 

*Housing for married couples and families is not available on campus. 

Students who qualify for commuter status should contact the Office of Residence Life for further instructions.

Smoking Policy

In July 2010, the university implemented a tobacco-free policy that prohibits the use of tobacco anywhere on campus.

Alcohol Policy

It is our policy that all freshmen residence halls are alcohol-free residences. This means that the possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages by anyone regardless of age is prohibited. The vast majority of our freshmen are under age 21, so we believe that this policy will help to improve students’ living experiences in freshman residences. 

Please see the Student Drug and Alcohol Policy in the Student Handbook for a complete description of Widener's rules and regulations covering alcohol.

With the exception of fish tanks under 10 gallons, all animals—except for service and assistance animals—are not permitted in residence halls or other university facilities.

Review the Service and Assistance Animal Policy in the Student Handbook for more details.

  • Alcohol, including empty containers
  • Pets, unless specified above in the Pet Policy
  • Weapons, firearms, or explosive devices

Electronics & Electrical Appliances

  • Broilers, electric frying pans, hot plates
  • George Foreman™ grills, toaster ovens, griddles, or any open element appliance
  • Power cords without a multi-plug power strip with an internal circuit breaker
  • Any type of air conditioning unit

Decorations & Room/Furniture Modifications

  • Candles (including decorative ones)
  • Cinder blocks 
  • Furniture without fire retardant material 
  • Halogen lamps or decorative lighting (string lights, etc.)
  • Live Christmas trees
  • Nails, hooks, double-faced adhesive tape, or other items that damage walls 
  • Power tools
  • Water beds

Housing Applications & Assignments FAQs

Housing applications are submitted through the Housing Portal. Here, we'll ask you questions about your living preferences with a roommate and other interests; this questionnaire helps to place you with another student with similar interests.

To log into the Housing Portal, use your Widener credentials. 

Deadline to apply for housing: June 1

If you submit your application after this date, we may not be able to honor specific room or roommate requests.

The Housing Portal is powered by StarRez, a world-leading software that provides the most intuitive and easy-to-use system for students to apply for housing and find or select their own roommate.

Of course, you can! Students are welcome to select a preferred roommate. Every effort will be made to accommodate this request, as long as both students indicate a wish to room with one another and their housing applications are submitted by the deadline. 

We have an open room change period in the beginning of the semester. During this period, students can meet with their area coordinator and talk about the room change process. If there are vacant spaces available and the area coordinator approves the room change, the students may change rooms.

Steps to Select a Preferred Roommate

Directions to select an intended roommate are part of the Housing Application. You will be directed to create a group with your intended roommate. Please note that once the group is created, requests need to be accepted by the individual who created the group in order for residence life to honor the request.

Once a student occupies his or her assigned room, the roommate assignment may not be changed unless the Residence Life office gives approval. 

What happens if you don’t select a roommate?

Students who do not select a preferred roommate are assigned roommates by the Residence Life office based on responses to the roommate matching questions within the housing application so that we can match compatible students.

Getting Along with Your Roommate

Once you move in, you and your roommate will meet with your Resident Assistant (RA) to complete a roommate agreement. This agreement opens up the lines of communication to discuss living preferences and talk about any differences you might have.

The Residence Life office reserves the right to reassign any student to a different room at any time. While every attempt will be made to notify the resident student of a change in room assignment prior to his or her arrival on campus, situations may arise that make this impossible.

The Student Accessibility Services Office is here to help accommodate individual needs that necessitate special housing accommodations. 

Please forward your requests and all documentation to:
Widener University, Student Accessibility Services
c/o Rebecca Ross, Director
One University Place
Chester, PA 19013

If you've submitted your housing application by the deadline, you should receive an official letter correspondence from the Residence Life office via your Widener email by August 1st indicating your housing assignment information.

Can't find the email? No worries!

Log onto the Housing Portal using your Widener credentials and select “Housing Application” this will provide you with housing assignment information.  

Please note, this information is not visible until letters have been officially sent to all residential students.

Here at Widener you will find a welcoming, inclusive, and supportive residential community with housing options that suit a variety of interests, living styles, and specific needs or wishes. For more information about specific residence halls, including room and window dimensions, lighting, furniture included, etc, visit the Residence Halls page. 

General Housing FAQs

Most residence halls have the following basic amenities: an XL twin bed, desk, study chair, wardrobe, and one dresser for you and your roommate to share.* Cable television, wired and wireless Internet access, and laundry facilities are also included.

*Please note some residence halls vary in furniture type. Refer to the Residence Halls page for more details. 

Items for Move-In Day

For move-in day, you might want to bring cold drinks, a hand cart, and a towel.

Recommended Items to Bring to Campus

Roommate Tip: Avoid Doubles! We encourage new students to contact their roommate before move-in to coordinate who is bringing what to campus. It’s a good idea to check with your roommate to avoid duplicating certain items like a TV, microwave, or refrigerator.

Bathroom Essentials

  • Hair dryer
  • Personal care products 
  • Rubber shower shoes
  • Shower caddy to transport items from room to shower 
  • Towels & washcloths 

Room Essentials

  • Alarm clock
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Desk lamp & light bulbs
  • First-aid kit 
  • Flashlight & batteries
  • Iron & ironing board
  • Laundry supplies & clothes basket
  • Microwave (under 10amps)
  • Pillows & linens for extra-long bed
  • Plates, mugs, cups, & silverware
  • Radio
  • Refrigerator (5 cubic feet or smaller) 
  • Room fan
  • Study lamp
  • Surge protectors
  • Television
  • Wastebasket

Quiet Hours: Sunday – Thursday 9pm to 7am

Quiet hours in all residence halls and apartments will be from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., Sunday through Thursday, and midnight to 10 a.m. on Friday and Saturday during normal school session. In addition, 24-hour/day quiet hours go into effect prior to final exam week and continue through closing. 

Residents are expected to be considerate of others at all hours and are expected to act in a manner conducive to effective study.

Review more information about Quiet Hours in the Student Handbook for more details.

Residence halls are co-ed by floor, wing, or suite depending on the style of the building.

If keys are lost, you must report the lost key to the Office of Residence Life, the lock will be replaced and new keys will be issued. 

Students will be charged a fee to cover the cost of having a lock replaced. If a key is damaged or broken the student will not be charged any fees as long as all parts of the key are returned to the Office of Residence Life.

All maintenance requests can be submitted through SchoolDude.

If this is your first time submitting a maintenance request, you must register for a SchoolDude account.

The university does not assume responsibility for lost or damaged personal property by any means or for any cause. Please see the Student Handbook under Residence Life: Program Policies, Procedures, and Regulations section F 7 Personal Property Insurance Coverage.

The safety of your belongings is important to us, and having insurance is the sure way to be safe. You are strongly encouraged to see if you are covered under your parents' or guardians' homeowner policies or take advantage of special insurance programs available for college students. Student personal property insurance can be purchased from companies such as National Student Services, Inc. This is something that you and your parents/guardians should discuss at length.

The staff members in the Office of Residence Life are committed to your success during your time living on campus. Our live-in staff includes several area coordinators, a resident director, and resident assistants. They serve as valuable resources and are trained to assist you in a variety of situations. 

  • Resident Assistants (RA): RAs are student staff members responsible for creating a feeling of community among their residents by establishing community standards, advising roommate agreements, enforcing university policy, and being a resource to campus services and activities.
  • Area Coordinators (AC): ACs are full-time professional staff members whose primary role is to assist students in building an inclusive community to enhance personal and academic growth. The AC's work is performed within the framework of the Residence Life mission and includes intentional efforts to interact with students, assess their needs, and promote community growth and development. Supervision of RA staff and undertaking various leadership areas are also central to the AC role. 

Meet the Residence Life Team

The university's post office is located in the University Center, lower level. Your address is:
Your Name
Widener University, Box #
One University Place
Chester, PA 19013

For more information, visit:

An ATM can be found in the lobby of Old Main and TD Bank is located in University Crossings at 1410 Providence Ave, Chester, PA 19013. 

For hours and services offered, visit TD Bank

Each residence hall has laundry facilities. These services are free of charge to all residential students.

To request housing to accommodate a disability, please visit the website for the Office of Student Accessibility Services. Accommodation requests are reviewed once all documentation is received. Please note that all deposit and application deadlines for housing must be met. Late requests will be considered on a space available basis. 

Information for driving directions, public transportation, campus maps, parking permits, and shuttle information can be found on our Maps & Directions page.

Yes! However, since parking is at a premium at Widener, students without a specific need are advised not to bring a vehicle to campus. Both university and public transportation provide access to the entire university and surrounding areas every day.

If you choose to bring a car to campus, parking permits are required to park in campus lots. For more information, visit our Maps & Directions page.

Get in Touch