Bret A. Boyer, PhD
- Coordinator of Health Psychology Concentration
- Clinical Psychology (PsyD)
- Clinical Psychology & Criminal Justice (PsyD & MCJ Dual Degree)
- Business Administration & Clinical Psychology (MBA & PsyD Dual Degree)
- Business Administration in Health Care Management & Clinical Psychology (MBA & PsyD Dual Degree)
- Clinical Psychology & Human Sexuality Studies (PsyD & MEd Dual Degree)
- PhD, Clinical Psychology (1991)
Temple University (PA)
In teaching clinical psychology topics, I bear upon research, clinical experience, and theoretical principles, and integrate these domains of knowledge into an apprenticeship style of instruction, assuming that the learning and application of material and skills generates the conditions for students to continually explore, build, integrate, and develop.
Although my research interests are broad, most of my research investigates the relationships between psychological factors and adjustment to chronic physical health conditions. These studies have explored relationships among variables such as family functioning, anxiety, depression, posttraumatic stress and adjustment, self-management, rehabilitation, and medical outcomes for individuals experiencing diabetes, cancer, spinal cord injury, and cardiac conditions. I am also interested in the development and application of therapies to help individuals, couples, and families who face chronic health conditions, and in the integration of therapeutic methods toward optimal effectiveness for these problems. I have piloted many interventions utilizing imagery as a medium for exploration and intervention. I have also worked in primary care medical settings, specialty care medical settings, and physical medicine & rehabilitation settings over the years, integrating psychological services into the integrated interdisciplinary medical care.
- Paterson, M, Black, J.D., Boyer, B.A., Lawliss, K.A., Flanigan, A., Eludji, K., & Hofmann, R.J. (2018). Incorporating Student-Run Psychology Services in a Physical Therapy Student-Run Pro Bono Clinic. The Free Clinic Research Collective, 4, 1-4.
- Renna, C.P., Boyer, B.A., Prout, M.F. & Scheiner, G. (2016). Posttraumatic stress related to hyperglycemia: Prevalence in adults with type I diabetes. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 23, 269–284, DOI 10.1007/s10880-016-9463-x.
- Deatrich, K.G., Prout, M.F., Boyer, B.A. & Yoder, S.E. (2016). Effectiveness of group music therapy in a psychiatric hospital: A randomized pilot study of treatment outcome. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, 00, 1-26, DOI: 10.1080/00207284.2016.1190239.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
American Psychological Association (APA), Society of Behavioral Medicine (SBM)