Pamela J. Lannutti, PhD
- Professor and Director, Center for Human Sexuality Studies
- Gender & Sexuality
- Psychology & Mental Health
Programs I Teach
- Human Sexuality Studies (MEd)
- Human Sexuality (MEd) & School Counseling Certificate
- Clinical Psychology (PsyD) & Human Sexuality Studies (MEd)
- Human Sexuality (MEd) & Public Administration (MPA)
- Social Work (MSW) & Human Sexuality Studies (MEd or PhD)
- Human Sexuality Studies (PhD)
- PhD, Communication (2001)
The University of Georgia (GA)
- MA, Communication (1997)
The University of Georgia (GA)
- BA, Communication (1995)
La Salle University (PA)
I am a social scientist who studies communication in personal relationships, with an emphasis on the relationships of LGBTQ+ people. I have been studying communication in personal relationships for over 20 years and my work has appeared in communication and interdisciplinary journals including Human Communication Research, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, and Personal Relationships. My research has been recognized with various awards, including the Randy Majors Memorial Award for Distinguished GLBTQ Communication Scholarship. I have extensive academic editorial experience, including editing Communication Quarterly, the flagship journal of the Eastern Communication Association. I am active in the International Association for Relationship Research, the National Communication Association, and the Eastern Communication Association.
I enjoy working collaboratively on research with faculty and student colleagues. I hope to engage students not only in thinking critically, but working to improve the ways they communicate their ideas and engage with others inside and outside of the classroom.
I envision communication as a central process in our relational lives, not just a variable. I use a variety of methods to study communication in personal relationships. The majority of my research has focused on LGBTQ+ relational communication, especially the way that socio-cultural factors and shifts, such as marriage equality, affect these relationships. I am also especially interested in studying family communication, especially for marginalized families.
- Lannutti, P. J. & Galupo, M. P. (Eds.) (2019). The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election and the LGBTQ Community. New York: Routledge.
- Lannutti, P. J. (2018). Committed, unmarried same-sex couples and their social networks in the U.S.: Relationships and discursive strategies. Journal of Homosexuality, 65, 1232-1248. DOI: 10.1080/00918369.2017.1411690
- Lannutti, P. J. (2014). Experiencing Same-sex Marriage: Individuals, Couples, and Social Networks. New York: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Lannutti, P. J. (2013). Same-sex marriage and privacy management: Examining couples' communication with family members. Journal of Family Communication, 13, 60-75. DOI: 10.1080/15267431.2012.742088
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- International Association for Relationship Research
- National Communication Association
- Eastern Communication Association
- Gerald R. Miller Book Award in Interpersonal Communication, NCA Interpersonal COM Division (2016)
- Eastern Communication Association Distinguished Research Fellow, ECA (2015)
- Randy Majors Memorial Award for Distinguished GLBTQ Communication Scholarship, NCA (2014)
In the Media
- Time Magazine
- Ask Men
- People Magazine
- Life Hacker
- Delaware County Daily Times